PAL: Possession and Acquisition License for Non-Restricted Firearms and Ammunition
This Course is required to apply for a Canadian firearms license or a Possession and Acquisition licence (PAL) for non-restricted firearms.
Non-restricted firearms are typically long firearms used for hunting, target practice or plinking.
If you are interested in learning more about gun safety or getting into target shooting, hunting or your employment, which may require firearm safety training, this is a fun, hands-on, interesting course which you will enjoy. This is typically a one day course, starting at 8:00 am and finishing at 4:00pm with testing after 4:00.
Anyone over the age of 12 can take and pass the course. Students under 18 can apply for a minors PAL or wait until they turn 18 and apply for the regular PAL. Parents of youth and those who have a current PAL can audit the course for free.
- Safety rules (ACTS and PROVE).
- Loading and unloading of 5 typical action types.
- Firearms history.
- Ammunition types (black powder, rifle and shotgun).
- Best practices for using a firearm in the field or at the range.
- Carrying positions and cleaning principles.
- Overview of Canadian gun laws and regulations.
- Hands-on practice sessions with deactivated firearms.
- Federal multiple choice & practical tests (CFSC – non-restricted).
- PAL application forms. These are to be submitted by the student after successful completion of the course.
Manual is not included or required but can be obtained at:
- Age 12+ for non-restricted (parent/guardian who have their PAL can accompany minors free).
- 100% course participation is required for testing.
- Note taking materials (pen and paper).
- 1 piece of government issued photo ID.
Passing the Tests
To pass the two CFSC examinations you will need to obtain at least 80% on each exam, the written and practical exam. My job is to prepare you to be successful on the exams. If students are attentive and participating, the exams are not difficult and most people pass them. Accommodations can be made for learning or physical disabilities. Retests are to be taken within 7 days and I don’t charge for them.
Training Firearms and Ammunition
All firearms and ammunition are deactivated and provided by the instructor. This make the learning environment a safe place to inquire, examine, explore and handle real firearms under the supervision of an instructor.
Please note that absolutely no live firearms/ammunition are allowed into the course.
Course Dates and Registration
The PAL courses are limited to 12 participants per instructor (this is a government mandate). Therefore, people who register and pay will secure a seat in the course. There is no refund for failure to attend. The courses fill up quickly. If your community wishes to sponsor a course I can travel to your community to do a course(s). Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-265-8323.
Please check the calendar for upcoming course dates and locations as well as registration information.